Project Domain / Category
Scrabble game is a very efficient tool for learning and improving English language
vocabulary. In scrabble game two players cross words to earn points due to which it
is also called cross word game. The grid of scrabble game is normally a 15X15 grid
on which players can move characters up or down to get a correct word. The
characters must be intersected to write a new word and to gain a point. This
application can play a vital role in improving vocabulary of students at middle or high
level by simply playing a game.
A set of functional requirements of the proposed system may include the
1. Each player can login to start a game.
2. The game must support both single user and multiuser players.
3. The game will be divided into three different levels of difficulty i.e. beginners,
Average and expert level.
4. The difficulty of the game will depend on these levels.
5. In single user game the user will play with computer.
6. Players can select from different grid styles available.
7. Each player will be provided with 9 tiles at the beginners to form a word in
the beginner level. The number of tiles will change from level of the game i.e.
as the level become harder a smaller number of tiles will be provided at the
8. At the beginning of the game tile banks will be distributed between two
players depending on the level of game playing. Without looking at any of the
tiles in the bag, players will take one tile. The player that has the letter that is
closest to “A” will begin the game. A blank tile will win the start of the game.
The tiles are them replaced to the bag and used in the remainder of the game.
Every player will start their turn by drawing seven tiles from the Scrabble bag.
There are three options during any turn.
The player can place a word, they
can exchange tiles for new tiles, or they can choose to pass. In most cases,
players will try to place a word as the other two options will result in no score.
9. Each player will be provided number of fixed characters from which they are
required to form a word.
10.In case of wrong combinations players will be alerted with an error message.
11.The grid of the board will be 15 cells high and 15 cells wide.
12.When the game begins first player will put a word on the board for the second
13.The points will be earned according to the below mentioned criteria
➢ 0 Points – Blank tile.
➢ 1 Point – A, E, I, L, N, O, R, S, T and U.
➢ 2 Points – D and G.
➢ 3 Points – B, C, M and P.
➢ 4 Points – F, H, V, W and Y.
➢ 5 Points – K.
➢ 8 Points – J and X.
➢ 10 Points – Q and Z.
14.After all tiles have been consumed by players, application will count the
points and announce a winner.
Students are supposed to visit the problem domain to get more functional
requirements and understand the problem.
MySQL, PHP, ASP.net, Notepad++ (Students can also choose tools of their choice)