Project Domain / Category
Automation / Digital Logic Designing (Hardware/Android Based Project)
Abstract / Introduction
In today’s world be it offices, laboratories, school or home the first thing which concerns is security.
In order to make your data, money, premises and personal belongings safe and secured from
unauthorized persons. We will develop a fingerprint recognition biometrics system based on a realtime embedded system that will provide a complete security solution and making unable to access
unauthorized people. In comparison to the other methods of authentication through RFID, passwords
security this method has proven to be most efficient and reliable. Unauthorized access will be strictly
prohibited by designing this system. The system stores the fingerprint of authorized people and only
giving access to them. Fingerprint recognition is done by a sensor which can be connected with your
main controller to validate for authentication. If the user’s fingerprint has a positive match the door
will open otherwise the GSM module gets triggered and the registered user gets a message and the
buzzer connected will be initiated to alert the people or the security official in the surroundings.
The system will also have the capability to be operated through an SMS, the authenticated user can
send an SMS to the door lock module, after justifying the authentications and other hardwired rules,
the door lock can be controlled through a remote android device.
In simple words, in our project, we will have the following functional units:
• Biometric-based Smart Door Lock.
• GSM module for remote communication to control lock.
• Android application on a remote device (specifically a mobile phone) to control the Door Lock.
• Biometric Sensing Module
• Mechanical Door Lock
• Display Unit
• GSM / Wi-Fi based Internet Connectivity Module
Mobile Application (Android)
• Capability to receive and manage an online database of the data from the Hardware
• Capable to control the Mechanical Door Lock system remotely
• Capable to get the door lock status
• Arduino Kit/Raspberry Pi or Any other Single Board Processors
• Android Studio
• Web API’s
• C/C++ Programming Language
• Assembly Language
• Circuit Designing Software’s (OrCAD Pspice, WorkBench)
• Keil Embedded Development Kit
• Circuit Components (Resistors, Capacitors, oscillators, etc.)
• GSM/Wi-Fi Module
• Mechanical Door Lock
• Servo Motors
Note: Virtual University of Pakistan will not provide any kind of hardware for this project, student
must arrange required hardware by himself/herself.